The following materials and qualification are required for application :
Master's degree in computer science or other related areas, or equivalent qualification based on the regulation of the Ministry of Education of Taiwan. Unless the diplomas are issued in English by the institution, the official records in their original language must be submitted with an authorized, complete and exact English translation.
Fluency in English: For those applicants for whom English is not their first language, an English test result of one of the following is required.
- ※ TOEFL score of of 550 (79 on internet-based) or higher.
- ※ IELTS 5.5 or higher.
- ※ TOEIC 785 or higher.
- ※ GEPT High-intermediate level.
- ※ This requirement can be waived for those who have obtained bachelor or master degrees from native English-speaking countries.
- For example, applicants with degrees from: Australia, Canada (except Quebec), New Zealand, Singapore, United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales) will automatically receive an English language waiver.
- (The English proficiency exam must be taken in the last 24 months and score could be submitted later, but must be before July 31. Without valid English proficiency exam score, we cannot guarantee that your application for the English language wavier will be accepted.)
GRE score from the general exam. However, an applicant may submit one of the following material in place of a GRE general test score:
- ※ Any evidence of research ability such as papers published in international conferences or journals.
- ※ Satisfactory performance in any course or project work related to the design of algorithms or probability such as discrete mathematics, algorithms, computational complexity, data structure, probability, computer architecture, compiler, and computer programming.
(Required) Programming skills demonstrated by courses or projects completed.
A Statement of Purpose that includes a research plan.
Official transcripts in English from academic institutions attended after senior high school.
Three letters of recommendation.
After reviewing all the supporting documents mentioned above, candidates passing the first screening might be invited for an interview. Local candidates will be asked to come to Academia Sinica for interviews. For international students, interview via skype will be conducted.
IMPORTANT: The school you choose will affect who you can ask to be your advisor and your graduation requirement!!! For more information, please check under Academics.
TIGP offers an online application option, via our Website. Please submit your application online, please proceed to the TIGP online application portal http://db1x.sinica.edu.tw/tigp/index.php
Before logging into the system, please assemble all of the required information and material. If you have any questions about the application process, please get in touch with the assistant to Social Networks and Human-Centered Computing before the application deadline, Jan. 27, 2022.
The admission notice (including conditional admission) will be sent in early May. For those who receive conditional admission, the students will need to submit the documents (such as official master degree diploma or GRE) by July 31.
Domestic students are required to come to the Institute of Information Science, Academia Sinica for a face-to-face interview. International students are required to schedule an on-line Skype interview.
The Program admits students to the fall semester only.
- Application System will open from Nov. 1, 2021 to Jan. 27, 2022.
- Jan. 27 for All materials and credentials.
- July 31 for late English Proficiency score and master degree diploma ONLY.
Applicants who are not admitted may reapply in order to be considered for admission in a later year.
The Payment of tuition fee is about US$1,500 per year. (Due upon registration)
Fellowship and Stipends
Once admitted, each TIGP student will receive a monthly stipend of NT$34,000 (around USD1,140) for the first year. Additionally, the support will be extended to two more years for students who perform well academically. In subsequent years (from the 4th year), the thesis advisor will be responsible for the financial support. The Academic Committee will decide to reduce the student’s stipend level if his or her performance is less than satisfactory.
The students are required to find their own financial support prior to arriving in Taiwan. The fellowship will be given in the second month (October) after school starts.
TA and Chinese Language
TA experience is an essential part of our program. Thus, all students from TIGP must serve as TA for at least one semester. Additionally, in order to help students’ daily lives and communication with the local people, international students are required to take a one-year course in Mandarin Chinese.
Students will be required to join NHI after 6 months of continuous residence in Taiwan. The students pay the same premium as all the Taiwan citizens and will be entitled to the same medical coverage. In cases of illness, injury, and childbirth, the beneficiaries can receive medical services; including medication, outpatient and inpatient services from NHI contracted healthcare providers. NHI Official Website: http://www.nhi.gov.tw/english/index.aspx
Living and Housing
We provide TIGP students with dormitory at reasonable costs (for details please visit our website at http://tigp.sinica.edu.tw/Accommodation.html
Private housing is generally more expensive. Rents for off-campus apartments range from NT$ 5,000 - 15,000 per month. Meals are available on campus at the Activity Center Cafeteria, the Café, the Chinese restaurant, and the Western restaurant at modest costs. Various types of local cuisines are also available at off campus cafeterias and restaurants within walking distance and at affordable prices.